Together Again

“I knew it had to be you, Rose. You have been on my mind all day. I knew you’d be coming.” It was that old twin thing. Her side had hurt when Rose’s appendix had been about to rupture. Rose always knew when Pearl was about to have an epileptic fit. “I knew that today would be the day I would have to face you. I’ve been going over in my head what I’d say to you.”

“You don’t need to say anything, Pearl. I know why you ran away. I should have seen what was going on. I’m just so sorry.”

The sisters embraced. They clung to one another while their tears flowed freely. No words were needed. The gulf between them closed.

Later as they sat together sipping their coffee, Rose told Pearl that their mother had died.

“Mama’s gone?”

“Yes, Pearl. She died quietly – reading King Lear. I found her when…” She paused. The image of that night came rushing back to her. She closed her eyes trying to blot out the memory of Joe’s hands roaming over her body – the image of herself sprawled across a dirty mattress while her mother was dying. Her sister interrupted her, sparing her from having to recollect further details of that awful night.

“It must have been awful for you finding her like that. Oh, Sister. I should have been there with you.”

“Pearl, I can’t think of any reason to go back home. Mama’s gone and I can’t face Benjamin anymore.”

“What about Aunt Sarah?”

“Aunt Sarah is as tough as an old hen. She will be fine. I need to look after myself. I’ve got to get away from Pungo Creek. If I go back there I will just dry up and blow away. I want to stay here with you. Please let me stay, Pearl.”

“Go wash your face, Rose. I’ll make you some lunch. I’ve got to think about this.”

Mrs. Beasley was watching them from the counter. Her curiosity was getting the better of her but she held herself back with effort as Pearl walked toward her. “She’s my sister, Mrs. Beasley. My twin sister.”

“I knew it! I knew she looked familiar to me.”

No comments: