The Baby

We hadn’t been living at the house on Pungo Creek too long when Madeline started coming around. She’d latched onto Mama like a snapping turtle. Aunt Sarah told me that a long time ago Madeline had been married Uncle Benjamin and that she was Jess and Kate’s mother. “Your Mama and Madeline stayed best friends after Benjamin threw her out and now it looks like Madeline is determined to start in where they left off” Aunt Sarah didn’t care for Madeline at all and she wasn’t shy about letting Mama know how she felt.

“She’s just trash, Rose. That’s why your brother tossed her out. She isn’t the kind of person you want to have around your girls. Why can’t you make friends with that nice Ruth Jordan or Page Sparrow. They are good church-going women. Those Modlins were always low class.”

“She’s my friend, and I will thank you to keep your opinions to yourself. Just because I’m living under your roof don’t mean you can run my life.”

Aunt Sarah just shook her head, puffed up like a mad hen and went back to her Bible reading.
Every night after supper, regular as clockwork, Madeline would come swaying up the back steps with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. She always wore the same dress. The dress stretched tight across a belly that pooched way out in front of Madeline. It appeared that she arched her back on purpose to push her belly out even further. When I said something to her Aunt Sarah about Madeline’s stomach she whispered back that it came from having so many babies. “She just drops babies like a feral cat and goes on her merry way” Sarah clucked.
I never dared to say anything about Madeline to Mama, but I didn’t have to. “Clara, your feelings stick out all over you. Madeline can tell just by looking at you exactly how you feel about her.” Mama started sending me to my bedroom whenever Madeline came over so she couldn’t see what I was thinking.

Mama and Madeline sat in the porch swing drinking beer and smoking while Aunt Sarah stayed inside and glared at them through the kitchen window.

Mama didn’t know it, but Daddy had left a baby growing inside of her before he went off and got himself killed by Harold Ray Sheppard. As her belly swelled, Mama grew more and more distant. She almost never talked to Ivy and me. When she did it was to yell at us. She started drinking more – not just beer, but hard liquor right out of the bottle. At night, after Madeline went home, she’d stumble inside and go straight to bed with her clothes on.

Aunt Sarah’s pleading fell on deaf ears. She begged Mama to consider the baby that she was carrying. The more the pleaded, the more headstrong Mama became. “Listen, old lady, if there’s one thing I can do, it’s have babies. And I can do it without your help. Now get out of here and leave me alone. And tell those brats to shut up or I’ll cut me a switch.”

When it was time for the baby to be born Aunt Sarah sent Ivy and me over to spend the night with Uncle Benjamin. “It’s best you girls stay over there tonight. Your mama is going to have a rough go of it. I’ll take care of her and send word when it’s time for you to come home.”

When it was time for bed Ivy and I crawled into a tiny bed tucked under the rafters of Uncle Benjamin’s attic, but we were too excited to fall asleep.

We whispered and giggled until Uncle Benjamin stuck his head in and threatened to “blister our behinds” if we didn’t quiet down and go to sleep. He tried to sound mean, but I could see he was smiling when he said it. Reluctantly we turned off the light and lay quietly with the moonlight streaming through the open window that looked out over Pungo Creek. I stayed awake long after Ivy fell asleep. The only sounds in the dark attic were her breathing and the croaking of the bullfrogs that lived in the branch that separated our house from Uncle Benjamin’s. A couple of times I thought she heard Mama crying out but I couldn’t be sure. It was close to daybreak when I finally drifted off to sleep.

In the morning I awoke to the sound of our uncle’s booming voice announcing, “Wake up! You’ve got a baby sister, girls. Get dressed and I’ll fix you some eggs before I send you home to your mama.” As he closed the door I heard him say in a softer voice that wasn’t meant for us to hear “Just what Rose needs – another mouth to feed.”

I didn’t wait for breakfast. I ran all the way home. Aunt Sarah stopped me at the front door. “Quiet, child. Your Mama needs her rest.”

“I want to see my baby sister. What’s her name? Is she all right?” My breath was coming in gulps – partly from the exertion of running from Uncle Benjamin’s house and partly from excitement. Waggles heard me and came running into the kitchen. He curled up his upper lip in a smile, put his front paws on my chest and licked my whole face.

Aunt Sarah laughed. “You’re going to have to wash that dog slobber off of you before you go anywhere near that baby.”

I went over to the sink and washed my hands and face. “Mama promised that if she had a girl we could name her “Laika”.

“We’ll see about that. I’m not sure I want a niece named after a communist dog. Where’s Ivy?”

“She’s having breakfast with Kate and Uncle Benjamin. I couldn’t wait.”

“You must be excited if you’re missing a meal. Come on, but be real quiet. They’re both sleeping.”

I was shocked at how terrible Mama looked. Her face was lined and drained of all color. I touched her cheek. She had turned into an old woman overnight. For a minute I forgot all about the baby. Aunt Sarah put her arm around my shoulder and led me toward the bassinette.

“Hello, Laika. I’m your big sister. Welcome to Pungo Creek.” I stood there for a long time just looking at my new sister. I didn’t realize then what hard times were ahead.

No comments: