Foreman Landing

Before he dismissed the congregation, Reverend Linton reminded us about the baptism that was scheduled for next Sunday at Foreman’s Landing. It was called Foreman Landing after my granddaddy – or maybe my great granddaddy. I really didn’t know how far back they called it Foreman Landing or how long the Foreman’s had been landing there.

All I knew is they didn’t call it Carter Landing – even though what remained of the Carter Family now occupied the house on Foreman’s Landing. I called this oversight to the attention of Reverend Linton. Heeding my instruction, the accommodating Reverend Linton announced the next Sunday before the preaching started that henceforth Foreman Landing was to be known as Carter Landing. I took a quick look around the congregation to see the old folks gasping, wheezing and snorting at the surprise announcement. The fretting and fussing really kicked in after preaching. “That’s been Foreman Landing since my daddy was a boy and those carpet bagging Carter’s want to call it after themselves. Well I never.” “Andrew Foreman would roll over in his grave if he knew this was happening.” All thus determined that the name should remain Foreman Landing.

When word got back to Mama about what I had done she got really fired up and lit into me and gave me a spanking to remember but the real pain came from the recognition that her Daddy, Virgil Haywood Carter, would never have a landing named for him.

No comments: