The Honeymoon is Over

Pearl waited impatiently on the back porch for her sister. “Hurry up, Rose. We’re going to miss the school bus.”

“Keep your britches on. Give a girl a chance to wipe the dew off her lily.” Rose joined her on the porch, allowing the screen door to slam shut behind her.

“Mama could have a conniption if she heard you talking like that. You’re spending so much time with Madeline you’re beginning to talk like her.”

“Don’t you start lecturing me. I’ve had just about all the lecturing I can stomach.” She paused to light a cigarette before following her sister down the back steps. “I mean it, Pearl!” she warned, anticipating a sermon about smoking.

They walked silently up the lane. When they got to the road Rose turned left and continued walking.

“Where are you going?”

“I don’t feel like being cooped up in a school room today. I’m going over to Madeline’s. I can learn more from her than I can learn in school.”

“Rose, wait! You can’t just skip school. What am I supposed to tell Mrs. Burbage?”

“I don’t care. You can tell Old Cannonball anything you want.”

When the school bus stopped a few minutes later, Pearl got on alone.

Madeline met Rose at the door. “Come on in, Sugar. Your brother’s been gone since dawn and Tina is tending to his brat. Let’s get us a drink and go sit on the porch. I’ve got some news.”

Rose had counted on Benjamin being gone. She knew he was spending more and more time away from home. Between running the farm and his barbershop he had little time for his wife and his son. Madeline had complained to her that Benjamin had lost interest in her. “If he won’t do his duty then there are plenty of other men who will plow that field for him too.”

They settled themselves on the porch and Madeline had poured them both a drink from a half empty bottle of whiskey. “What’s your news?” she asked taking a cautious sip from her glass.
“Well, Sugar, I went out and found myself a man that was happy to have what Benjamin didn’t want. This cracker can’t get enough. He has just about worn my ass out.” Madeline drained her own glass and refilled it. “You’ve barely touched your drink. Don’t you like whiskey?”

“I like whiskey. It’s just…”

“Too early in the morning? Nonsense. It’s never too early for drinking. If I don’t drink early I’m liable to get busy and forget to drink – and then where would I be? Sober that what and I can’t let that happen. Anyway, where was I?”

“You were talking about the cracker that was wearing out your ass.”

“That ain’t all, Sugar. I’m going to have another baby and I know for sure that this one ain’t your brother’s.”

“What are you going to do?”

Madeline leaned back in the swing and rubbed her belly. “I’m going to have myself another drink.”

No comments: